Last Updated on
Pools are no doubt the most attractive and the cleanest areas at homes, and if you are fortunate to own an in-ground or above-ground one, getting a best suction pool cleaner is a must. These pool cleaners are very effective owing to their mechanism and assure to leave pools as clean as anything.
Based on suction pressure, a pool cleaner works with power, cleans the bottom and sucks in all leaves and other debris completely. There are different suction pool cleaners in different designs that can be chosen as per one’s pool compatibility, convenience, and other factors.
Best Suction Pool Cleaner Of 2019: Comparison
Top 10 Best Suction Pool Cleaner Reviews
1. Zodiac BARACUDA G3: Best Overall
If the best suction side pool cleaner is what you have been eyeing for, Baracuda G3 W03000 from the house of Zodiac will qualify perfectly to meet this purpose.
What’s best about this suction pool cleaner is that, it is not only powerful but makes no noise at all. Compact in size ( has only one moving part), this new-age suction pool cleaner is easy to set up and takes no time for installation.
This pool cleaner also scores high in terms of efficiency. The integrated flow keeper valve comes in handy to automatically regulate the water flow to maintain an optimal cleaning performance even on pumps of low speed. Plus, the unit features a 36-finned disc that makes way to a wide cleaning path and fits any surface to move around. This cool feature also helps to avoid getting stuck in a corner.
Well, you don't have to worry about the compatibility issues with a lower speed pump, since this pool cleaner is designed to work efficiently with variable speed of pump. This makes it the best suction pool cleaner for variable speed pump.
It can suck medium as well as small-sized debris (sand and dirt) easily, leaving the floors and walls clean and tidy. The wheel deflector makes it easier to move around smoothly to the tightest of corners. Plus, this automatic suction pool cleaner comes with long hose attachment that is not only durable but also scuff resistant.
When it comes to versatility, Baracuda G3 W03000 is an advanced suction pool cleaner that works on all types of pool surfaces, whether it is tile, concrete or vinyl.
Off course, this suction pool cleaner is not perfect- it only works in In-ground pools. Some user have warned that, it fails to clean the farthest corner at the shallow end.
Things We Liked:
- Compatible with variable speed pumps.
- Comes with 39-foot durable hose, long enough for medium to large size pools.
- Very well-constructed, quite sturdy and durable as well.
- Involves no hassles in maintenance.
- Does not cost much in comparison to robotic models.
- Quite energy-efficient and hence puts no burden on electricity bills
- Parts can be easily replaced
- The bladder is not that durable and has high chances to get a tear.
- Sometimes gets stuck and requires human effort to allow it to move again.
2. Hayward Poolvergnuegen: Best Suction Pool Cleaner For Leaves
Drop all your plans to call up a pool cleaning agent as here comes a more technically enriched expert in the name of Poolvergnuegen. Hayward Poolvergnuegen from the house of Hayward is a 4-wheel suction pool cleaner that works wonders for large-sized pools, diving pools, and other older pools.
Due to its 4-wheel support in tune with typical tire treads, it can overcome various obstacles of your pool. For having auto-adjustable turbine vanes, it generates maximum power irrespective of the flow. Suitable for all pool surfaces and shapes, this smart pool cleaner has a very compact design and takes no space to store.
According to few user, this model does a greater job than some previous models (Hayward Navigator ) from the same brand. Few customers have also noted that, the price point seems bit high but, it well worth the money.
Key Features And Performance Of Hayward Poolvergnuegen:
- Available in both 2 and 4-wheel drive, this pool cleaner is super-smooth and flexible to work for all small and medium-sized pools.
- Auto-adjustable turbine vanes bring more power to the cleaner, making it stronger and more efficient.
- Comes with 40-inch long hose that allows you to clean large size pool efficiently.
- No additional pool pump/filter required as it uses existing pump and filter.
- Skirt and tire treads are both adjustable that works well with programmed steering and makes wall climbing a very easy task. Even, it never gets stuck on steps.
- Comes with three throats that can be interchanged, which results in bettering suction performance at minimal flow and allowing larger debris to pass.
Things We Liked:
- Very easy to assemble.
- Compact in size, stylish in look and efficient in performance.
- Maintenance required is low and does not cost much.
- Takes very less time in cleaning the entire pool, which suggests great speed and excellent pick-up power.
- Climbing the walls does not happen so smoothly.
- Gets stuck in one area and waits for an external force to move ahead.
3. XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum
Some pool owners say that cleaning the bottom of a pool manually is one of the toughest jobs. So, when pool cleaners come into play, this can be made a lot easier. Have a look at Xtremepower US 75037 suction pool cleaner that brings a special 10 hose set to clean up a pool of up to 30 inches. Furthermore, this unit is considered as one of the best pool cleaner for dirt and algae.
Its smooth functioning is made possible only when it takes help of a swimming pool pump of 1 HP. What makes it absolutely energy-efficient is that it does not take help of electricity. Instead, it can be simply attached to the existing filtration system. Worthy for investment, Xtremepower US 75037 will never disappoint you.
Key Features And Performance Of XtremepowerUS:
- Designed to clean the pool’s bottom surface, Xtremepower US 75037 comes with 10 inch hoses that can clean up to a pool of 30 inches.
- Functions effectively on the basis of either 1600 GHP or a pool pump of 1HP.
- Does not require any tools for operation that makes it user-friendly.
- Requires no electricity at all and attaches straight to the existing filtration system.
- Holds the ability to eradicate algae, dust, dirt but not leaves.
- Assures complete safety while moving on curved surfaces.
- Equipped with eyeball divert that regulates the water flow as well as the right direction towards which the water is flowing.
Things We Liked:
- The cleaner comes with a complete kit eliminating the need to buy parts separately.
- Very easy to assemble that neither takes time nor effort.
- Construction is excellent and extremely durable.
- Quite cost-effective and pocket-friendly as well.
- Takes a bit of time for the cleaner to get adjusted.
- Black scrape spots are often found at the corners of the pool.
- Parts start getting loose after a few months of usage.
4. Pentair 360042 Kreepy Krauly
Cleaning a swimming pool manually is certainly a huge task. But what if it is done in quick time? Pentair 360042 is an advanced in-ground suction pool cleaner that would get this job done with no shortfalls.
Equipped with the drive float directional system, this pool cleaner has the ability to clean everything from the waterline to the bottom of the pool, scoring high in terms of cleaning coverage. It's also very efficient at picking up different types and sizes of debris of your pool like- leaves, acorns, sand, bugs etc. It’s no doubt a super pool cleaner and is worth considering.
Key Features And Performance Of XtremepowerUS:
- Sporting a modern design, Pentair 360042 has an impressive construction that makes it stand out among other pool cleaners.
- Cleaning coverage is excellent as it has the ability to clean right from the water line to the bottom of the pool.
- New and improved roller bumper help the unit from getting stuck in your pool step areas.
- What makes it easier to replace and repair is that it involves no gears, wheels or diaphragms.
- The power of suction is incredible as it eliminates both small and large-size debris.
- The flow of water is adjusted automatically due to the regulator valve, which also sets the right speed for better cleaning.
- Very easy to install and takes no time for the same.
Things We Liked:
- Each and every part of the cleaner is robust and quite durable.
- Holds the ability to suck everything right from dust and dirt to algae and leaves.
- Cleans the bottom of the pool thoroughly.
- Easy to store for its sleek design.
- Easy on the pocket, cost-effective and saves a good amount on your utility bills.
- Not efficient for cleaning large-sized pools.
- Gets stuck by the stairs in time.
5. Hayward 900 Wanda: Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Here comes a super innovative pool cleaner in the form of a cute little whale that would clean your pool better and faster. Hayward 900 Wanda is the new-age suction pool cleaner that comes equipped with a turbine system. Resultantly, there is a constant flow of balanced water. It operates with no noise and moves across the pool as well as its bottom.
There are no words for its design that comprises a contoured head, which actually makes it easier complete the steering in quick time. One of the best aspects of this pool cleaner is that it does not take even 10 minutes to install and neither does it take help of any external tools. A trendy pick for above-ground pools, Hayward 900 Wanda is just fantastic.
Key Features And Performance Of Hayward 900 Wanda:
- Hayward 900 Wanda is a modern-age suction pool cleaner that involves no complex operation.
- Easy to use and operate, this pool cleaner runs efficiently with the help of your prevalent filtration system.
- Cleaning and vacuuming can be done without any effort as well as in quick time.
- Utilizes the Smart Drive program steering for cleaning faster and more efficiently.
- Better water circulation and pulls water right from the pool’s bottom.
Things We Liked:
- Quite affordable as it is quite easy on the pocket.
- Very easy to operate and involves no complex operations.
- Cleans the bottom of the pool with ease.
- Often takes too much time cleaning the whole pool.
- Gets stuck often at the bottom of the pool.
6. Zodiac Ranger Suction Side Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
If you are owning an above-ground pool but you are clueless about how to clean it, keep away all your worries and bring home this suction pool cleaner from the house of Zodiac. With the power to effectively clean an entire pool and its bottom of up to 72 inches, this Zodiac Ranger pool cleaner is worth every penny you spend for it.
While it operates, it makes no loud or annoying noise and rather works with no sound at all. What prevents it from getting obstructed at the steps and corners is its deflector wheel. Moreover, it is quite easy to install as it comes pre-assembled. What makes it glide effortlessly along the pool’s bottom is the AG Disc that also lets it make way to the steps and sides.
Key Features And Performance Of Zodiac Ranger:
- Compact, robust and trendy, Zodiac Ranger pool cleaner is designed to clean up the pool with absolute efficiency.
- Apart from cleaning the waterline, this suction pool cleaner cleans the walls, sides, corners and bottom of the pool perfectly.
- For having a big-sized Wheel Deflector, it navigates the pool well and does not cling on to the steps and ladders.
- As it comes with a diaphragm, it does not require any wheel, gear or flapper.
- Does not take any effort to install and neither it takes time for the samer.
Things We Liked:
- Runs very quietly while moving on the waters.
- Sleek in design and stylish in look, this suction pool cleaner is worthy in terms of investment.
- Easy to assemble and takes no time to set up
- The cleaner needs to be guided for smooth movement.
- As per some users, pool is not cleaned evenly.
- Skimmer basket does not stay in place, allowing the debris to make way to the sand.
7. Zodiac MX8 Suction-Side Cleaner
What about experiencing a blend of vacuuming and technology? Zodiac MX8 suction side pool cleaner promises you to bring this amazing experience with its out-of-the-box features and specifications. Built with Cyclonic Vacuum technology, this pool cleaner sucks a huge amount of debris at the same time.
With a direct connection to the skimmer, Zodiac MX8 involves superior cleaning power. Equipped with X-Drive technology, it results in dual navigation and excellent pool coverage. With X-Trax tires, it excels in maneuverability as well as wall climbing.
Furthermore, it works well with pumps of varying speeds and runs in all sorts of in-ground pools as well. High on efficiency, this suction pool cleaner is value for money without any second thought.
Key Features And Performance Of Zodiac MX8 Suction-Side Cleaner:
- Cleans the pool on a wider scale for being equipped with double cyclonic suction and consumes a heavy amount of debris.
- Operation mechanism is brilliant as it runs on flex-power turbine and that also without utilizing much power.
- Comes with a twist locking hose that leads to secure and quick attachment.
- Due to its optimized flow control, it makes the cleaning faster and better.
- Needs a minimum flow of 20 GPM, it works great with pumps of different speeds.
- Construction is durable and scores high on durability.
Things We Liked:
- Maintenance is minimal and durability is high.
- Climbs the wall and does not get stuck.
- Cleans even the hard-to-reach corners of the pool.
- No hassles involved in the process of installation.
- Hose provided with the cleaner is adequate enough to clean the pool.
- Price for the cleaner is not worth in comparison to its features.
- Lack of consistency in performance as the parts often need to be replaced after a few months of use.
- Unable to remove leaves or twigs.
8. Hayward 925ADC Suction Pool Vacuum
When it comes to pool cleaning, what one must have is a branded pool cleaner. Hayward 925ADC is a suction pool cleaner that is not only branded but has also been preferred by a lot of pool owners.
Equipped with SmartDrive steering, it makes for excellent pool coverage. For having an advanced suction path, it is more efficient in picking up debris of all types. With user-friendly operations and hassle-free installation, this Hayward suction pool cleaner takes not even ten minutes to connect. While it operates, there is no sound omitted that makes it a great choice for pool owners.
Key Features And Performance Of Hayward 925ADC:
- Operates on the basis of an exclusive turbine-drive system that makes it operate smoothly and silently as well.
- Owing to programmed-steering, Hayward 925ADC guides the hose smartly so as to make it maneuver around the pool.
- Picks up debris with sheer efficiency for its advanced vacuum wings and endless suction power.
- Takes less than 10 minutes to connect to the skimmer.
- The existing filtration system powers it well and no booster pump is needed.
Things We Liked:
- Brilliant pool coverage that makes this pool cleaner more efficient.
- Possesses the ability to clean all types of pool surfaces.
- Moves quite smoothly and does not leave any scratch on the floor.
- Leaves no question in terms of durability.
- Constantly sticks against the walls.
- Leaves a huge part of the shallower section unaffected.
- Ball bearings are not stronger that affects both movement and performance.
9. Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly
Pentair is once again back with a fabulous in-ground pool cleaner that will now give your pool a whole new look. Designed to keep away all sorts of dirt and dust, Pentair GW9500 has SmartTrac programmed steering that makes it navigate around the pools for superior cleaning. It operates automatically and gets adjusted for better results.
Also, it scores high on safety for being fitted with a spring-loaded cover located along the vacuum port door. Furthermore, Pentair GW9500 can clean all types of surfaces right from vinyl, and gunite to fiberglass, making it the best in ground suction pool cleaner.
Key Features And Performance Of Pentair GW9500:
- Supports an advanced mechanism that helps to eliminate the toughest of dirt from the pool.
- With the help of its bristle-drive mechanism, it keeps all debris away keeping the pool away from pollutants.
- Equipped with a very powerful vacuum action that removes all sorts of debris off the pool.
- Takes a 15-inch cleaning path and sweeps well through all types of pool surfaces.
- Cleans all hard-to-reach areas without any effort.
- Compact in size and hence becomes quite easy to store.
Things We Liked:
- Does not require regular maintenance and quite durable as well.
- Works great even if there is a minimal flow of water.
- Hoses available are quite robust and would last long.
- Works smoothly based on vibration that helps to propel the cleaner.
- Comes with a bumper that prevents it from damaging the walls.
- Poor in cleaning the shallow end of the pool.
- Makes movements in circles often and get stuck.
- Fails to pull up debris in case of larger pools.
10. Polaris F9450 in-Ground Swimming Pool Cleaner
Technically enriched pool cleaners are none other than the robotic ones, and Polaris F9450 is an eye-catching pick in this category. Taking the look of a mini sports car, this 4-wheel pool cleaner does a massive job in keeping in-ground pools clean. Its Vortex Vacuum Technology sucks over four times the debris in comparison to other cleaners. Also, its 4WD technology leaves the pool walls and floors clean and clear.
Polaris F9450, moreover, boasts of its 7-day programmable cleaning cycle and hence cleans all types of pool surfaces up to a length of 50 inch. Outstanding in performance, Polaris F9450 is a great choice in the category of robotic pool cleaners.
Key Features And Performance Of Polaris F9450:
- High-tech, innovative and compact, Polaris 9450 is an incredible robotic pool cleaner with an exceptional cleaning ability.
- Features Vortex Vacuum Technology that leads to flawless cleaning without losing out on the suction.
- Holds the ability to not only clean the pool surface but also scrubs the walls as well as the tile line by means of a pleated scrubbing brush.
- Its multi-purpose canister takes four times the power when compared to other cleaners.
- Chooses the desired area in the pool through a simple touch button.
- Active Motion sensor allows it to track its right position in the pool.
Things We Liked:
- Light in weight, Polaris 9450 sweeps around the water with ease.
- Basket provided inside collect the debris well.
- Comes with a remote for tracking the right position in the pool.
- Easy to clean
- Debris container takes no effort to empty.
- Does not climb the side of the pool well.
- Consist of a flat bottom and spread-out wheels that affect the cleaning performance.
- Sits often in the middle of the pool and starts spinning.
What is a Suction Pool Cleaner and how does it Work?
One of the most effective devices for cleaning a swimming pool, a suction pool cleaner comes with a hose fixed to the pool’s skimmer. As a result, a vacuum is formed and sucks in all particles right into the skimmer. Due to the pump, the suction pressure is created and contributes well to the cleaning process.
Suction pool cleaners also come with brushes designed to loosen and remove debris. Moreover, these are not expensive and rather quite easy to install.
Here are 3 steps that will explain the working mechanism of a suction pool cleaner:
The pump system pulls in water from several sections of your pool by means of some pipes. Thereafter, the water is directed to these outlets with the help of a pump located close to the filter. It is taken through the pipes and into the filter.
Step 2 -
Once the water is positioned, it is churned back and filtered out through several series of pipes. This water will end up concentrating in a specific section of your pool. With these, the water is kept absolutely fresh and clean.
Step 3 -
The pump produces suction that adds sufficient power to the vacuum. This allows the cleaner to move easily around the pool and clean up the debris right at the bottom.
What is the difference between a Suction vs. Robotic vs. Pressure pool cleaner?
When it comes to pool maintenance, owners often turn panicky, especially for the money they need to spend. But with pool cleaners, this task can be made easier and executed faster without burning a hole in your pocket.
There are usually three types of pool cleaners – Suction, Robotic and Pressure pool cleaner. Where a suction pool cleaner works as per the pool’s dedicated suction line, a robotic pool cleaner involves a simple plug and play operation. A pressure pool cleaner, on the other hand, makes use of the existing pressure sideline so that the propelling can be done throughout the pool.
Both the suction and pressure pool cleaners are in need of a pool pump to keep the operation smooth and efficient. The robotic cleaner, on the contrary, always demands the filter to get emptied. Despite, these are the most advanced pool cleaners and quite energy-efficient as well.
However, the suction and pressure pool cleaners score in terms of maintenance and affordability. Another huge advantage of a robotic pool cleaner is that it does not need your current pool equipment and runs with no power from your house.
Unlike a suction pool cleaner, a best pressure side pool cleaner does not utilize the filtration system of the pool for filtering all the debris. Instead, a filtration bag is used to collect all the dirt and debris. The robotic cleaner cleans and scrubs the pool floor thoroughly and minimizes your effort to do the cleaning with a brush.
Pressure and suction pool cleaners, in other words, are worth and cost-effective while robotic pool cleaners are highly advanced but are expensive in comparison.
Watch this quick video to get more insights on these 3 types of pool cleaner:
A Buyer’s Guide Of Suction Pool Cleaner
Imagine spending those extra dollars behind pool maintenance apart from paying your utility bills and you land up with no savings at the end of the month. Well, you will never let this scenario bother you only if you come with a smarter and a more cost-effective strategy.
Yes, it is true that pool maintenance for some is a huge task in terms of both money and effort. So, if you are having a swimming pool, why not think of bringing a pool suction cleaner and get rid of all leaves and pebbles inside?
A bit of research, knowledge, and reviews would help you choose the best suction pool cleaner for leaves. But the most important aspect is to know all those factors that should be considered prior to buying a pool suction cleaner. So, let’s get those factors listed so that it becomes easier for you to buy the best suction pool vacuum on the market:
- Check your pool compatibility –
As a matter of fact, suction pool cleaners are best if bought for smaller pools. Even if you are owning a medium-sized one, these pool cleaners would do a fair job. Many in-ground pool owners have also expressed satisfaction after using a suction pool cleaner. However, if your pool floor is a gunite one, it’s advisable then to check the cleaner specifications. In other words, checking the pool compatibility is a must.
- Check the necessity of a booster pump –
If you are bringing a suction pool cleaner, you must ensure that your pool has a good vacuum system. For being directly connected to the filtration system, the pool suction cleaners do the job with perfection. Despite, there are certain pool suction cleaners that require booster pumps in order to speed up the flow of water.
- Check whether the hose has safety features –
A hose has a massive role to play while the pool undergoes cleaning. Since the hose is made to abrade on the pool floors, it can suffer heavy damage. As a result, the cleaning might not be that effective. So, make sure that the hose attached is strong enough to clean up the pool.
- Check whether it cleans both the floors and walls –
There are some suction pool cleaners that are designed to only clean up the floors. But if you are looking for pool cleaners that can clean both the walls and floors, you need to choose the suction pool cleaner accordingly.
So, you are finally done checking the best suction pool cleaner reviews. Be it a robotic, pressure or suction pool cleaner, it has to work as per the size of your pool. Not every pool cleaner will be capable to do a great job. Therefore, what is important is choosing a pool cleaning device that will touch every nooks and corner of the pool including its walls, waterline and most importantly the bottom.
It all depends on your budget as to how far it will be affordable for you to get a cleaner. If you are ready to invest some more dollars, a robotic cleaner will be great while those who prefer vacuuming and more pocket-friendly cleaners can always choose the suction or pressure ones. Analyze your pool requirements well and buy the best pool cleaner to keep your pool new and glowing.